Juicy grilled chicken, sweet coconut rice and the fresh mango salsa takes it over the top! This is irresistibly sweet and spicy, super simple to make, healthy and outrageously delicious. Plus, it’s so colorful and bright!
We love making grilled chicken all summer long, and this Mexican flavored marinade packs in the flavor and makes the most tender chicken breasts.
Coconut rice is the perfect side for this chicken and then the fresh mango salsa knocks this dish out of the park! Mango, avocado, cucumber, jalapeno, red bell pepper, and red onion are the impeccable blend of flavors to top this marinated chicken.
The Story Behind this Grilled Chicken
Years and years ago I had the most insanely crabby baby of all time. I know you think I’m exaggerating so let me just give you a slice of my life. In my journal I have an entry that says, “Claire is nine months old this week and finally slept two hours straight last night. I’m feeling hope!!!!”
When she was 4 months old, I was a hot mess and felt so certain that something was wrong. After our nurses and doctor repeatedly told us she just had a bad temperament, I finally switched doctors and said, something isn’t right and I need someone to listen to me.
Claire was sick. I went through an elimination diet and we discovered she had an incredibly bad case of acid reflux. She was battling terrible yeast infections and major food intolerances which meant I was off of dairy, anything gas producing, bananas, beans, chocolate, yeast, soy and gluten.
You guys, I was just coming off of the worst battle with Hyperemesis Gravidarum only to spend the next year not eating again. It was so hard!!!
And then sure enough, just as the doctor suspected, she grew out of it and became the happiest toddler EVER.
I was constantly looking for dinners to make and this Mexican grilled chicken was one of our favorites.
Last year our very good friend, Kerri, introduced me to her own mango salsa so I adapted ours to include cucumbers and vinegar and I’ve been obsessed to a whole new level!
Ingredients for Mexican Grilled Chicken and Mango Salsa
This recipe really come in two parts – the chicken marinade and the mango salsa. Here is what you will need to make both:
- Chicken Breasts
- Lime Zest – flavor
- Orange Juice – flavor and tenderizes
- Lime Juice – flavor and tenderizes
- Canola Oil – helps chicken get golden and crispy
- Honey – touch of sweetness
- Cumin – flavor
- Chili Powder – flavor and color
- You could add some cayenne pepper too if you want more heat.
- Coriander – flavor
- Soy Sauce – flavor
- Garlic – add more if you want!
- Cilantro – can omit if you don’t like it, but such great flavor!
- Red Pepper
- Red Onion
- White Vinegar
- Canola Oil
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card down below.
How to Make Mexican Grilled Chicken and Mango Salsa
Summer time is for playing outside, swimming, grilling, and being with family and friends. You don’t want to be spending hours in the kitchen. This recipe is so quick and easy and perfect for those busy fun-filled summer nights!
For the Chicken
- Add the ingredients for the marinade into a large ziploc bag, seal the bag and squish everything around to combine it.
- Save 1/2 cup of the marinade for later, and then add the chicken to the bag.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Flip the bag about halfway through to evenly marinate the chicken.
- Start up your grill to high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and throw away the leftovers.
- Place the chicken onto the hot grill using tongs and let it cook for 1 minute, then lower the heat to medium.
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes and then flip them and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
- You’re looking for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Use the marinade that you reserved to brush all over the chicken.
For the Mango Salsa
I like to get this salsa made in the morning so it can sit and get totally delicious all day. Add all the ingredients to a bowl with a lid and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make a batch of our coconut rice and serve with the chicken and the salsa on top! Enjoy!
Can Grilled Chicken Be Reheated?
Cover with foil and reheat in a 250 degree F oven until hot clear through. I have found this is the best way reheat the chicken without drying it out.
Why Marinate Meat?
Marinade gives the meat a richer flavor and makes it more tender and moist.
How Long Will Grilled Chicken Keep?
You can store grilled chicken in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Tell if a Mango is Ripe
One of the best ways to tell if a mango is ripe is by its color. Mangoes change from being all green to yellow, orange and red as they ripen. You can also give mangoes a little squeeze. They should be slightly firm with just the tiniest bit of give to it. They also will smell sweet around the stem area.
Ways to Use Mango Salsa
One of my favorite things about mango salsa, aside from how dang delicious it is, is how beautiful it is. Look at all those beautiful colors! I love the sweetness from the mango, the heat from jalapeno, the creaminess of the avocado, and the flavor from the onions, bell peppers and cilantro! It’s really an explosion of flavor in your mouth. Here are a few other dishes we like to eat with this salsa:
Reasons to Make Mexican Grilled Chicken with Mango Salsa
In case you aren’t persuaded to head to the grocery store this minute for these ingredients, here are a few more reasons love it:
- Healthy: everything is fresh and healthy! If you’re worried about carbs or extra calories, you can skip the coconut rice.
- Easy: it takes a little planning ahead to marinade, but it other than that, it takes just minutes to make!
- Versatile: feel free to add or swap anything in the salsa! Add black beans, corn, tomatoes.
Whether you are on some sort of crazy diet because of a cranky nursing baby, or you are just looking for a spectacularly delicious grilled chicken recipe, this Mexican grilled chicken with mango salsa should be on your dinner table!
More Marinated Chicken Dishes You’re Sure to Love:
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken and Mango Salsa
- 4 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- 3/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 Cu[ Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 Cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 large Mango peeled and diced
- 1 small Avocado Diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/4 Cup Red Pepper diced
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion diced
- 1 1/2 Limes Juiced
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro chopped
For the Chicken
In a large ziploc, add all of the marinade ingredients. Seal and squish the bag to combine. Pour off 1/2 cup and reserve in the fridge. Open the bag and add chicken, squish to combine and seal. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 2 hours, flipping halfway through the marinating process.
Remove the chicken from the fridge and oil the grates of a grill. Heat to high.
Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the extra. Using tongs, lay the chicken on the grill and after 1 minute lower to medium heat. Cook the chicken for 6 minutes, flip and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until a temperature of 165. Brush with remaining marinade.
For the Salsa
this chicken and salsa will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken and Mango Salsa
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories from Fat 342
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Vitamin A 1468IU29%
Vitamin C 63mg76%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.